Old 03-26-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
2wheel
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Review - ProClip Auto Cradle for 8900

Please Login to Remove!

The ProClip Auto Cradle for the 8900 arrived today. Below is a quick review.

Price - $34.99 for the model shown below (There are other options)
Construction – Excellent
Design – Simple. Also excellent
Installation – Easy. You just need a mounting surface. I have a leather covered custom base for my ’07 VW Touareg. (Made by KudaUSA.com) Since I had a cradle mount already installed on the base, fortunately, the hole pattern on the ProClip base was identical. Bonus! Otherwise, I would have had to drill small pilot holes and use the self-tapping screws that came with the ProClip cradle.

ProClip sells all sorts of bases. Check out their website for the solution that best suits your car.

Note: IMHO, vent mount systems don’t make much sense to me. You both obscure the vent in question and also cause the phone to heat up. (During the winter of course) No electronic device I’m aware of enjoys high heat. I can’t imagine the 8900 being any different. So, I would suggest investigating the Kuda mounts as they are designed for your interior. Or take a look at the wide range of sheet metal solutions at ProClip. Some simply slip into gaps between in the instrument panel or console and the upholstered dash or console.

Issues – If you have a skin installed, you will have to spread the cradle just a tiny bit to prevent damaging the skin. I have the Invisible Shield on my 8900 and the added thickness as well as the friction made it impossible to slide into the cradle. About 2 minutes with a heat gun, and I was able to spread the cradle just enough to get the phone in without damaging the skin. It fits nicely now. Due to the thick plastic. (ABS I believe) it will be very difficult to spread the cradle without using a heat gun. A hair dryer won’t generate enough heat. Another option would be to remove the side sections of the skin. You’re call.

General thoughts – I like this cradle a lot. Were it not for the Invisible Shield, the installation would have taken me less than 5 minutes. It may take you up to 20 minutes to install if you have to drill holes or install a base. But still, super easy.

There is a clearance hole in the side to plug in the charger. Nice. So many cradles exclude this simple feature.

The cradle angle has a generous range of adjust ability and the tension on the pivot can be adjusted via a screw in the center. I pretty much locked mine down as I can’t envision ever needing to pivot the phone.

Excellent product. Highly recommended.

Images of my install. (The phone appears to be at an odd angle, but it is facing me perfectly.)

Offline   Reply With Quote