View Single Post
Old 12-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #35
celcius
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c

Quote:
Originally Posted by nopesos
I called the International Department and indicated I needed to travel overseas and would like to use a prepaid SIM card. I happened to get a very nice person and she asked if I paid full price and I indicated yes; I paid $399. I faxed her a letter stating my reason and a copy of the receipt. 2 days later I received an email indicating I would receive an unlock code in 5 days. Today I got an email with the unlock code and instructions and it worked. I will experiment with my T-mobile SIM and let you know how it goes. I have always used the T-Mobile Blackberry Service for Internet based email and it is superior to the Cingular Service (I am not referring to BES). I just switched to Cingular because I wanted the EDGE and the new 8700c. Will post a followup.
This is interesting because I had a similar experience with my previous phone, a Motorola V551, which I wanted to get unlocked. I had paid full price for the phone and I had to fax them a copy of the receipt proving it. A few days later I was emailed an unlock code. I believe that paying full retail had something to do with me being able to get an unlock code.