View Single Post
Old 06-23-2009, 05:20 AM   #80
J-Tuning
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: KPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Spot on! One of my pet peeves, besides whiny biatches trying to get data plan features without a data plan, is this incessant desire of clueless owners trying to "iPhone-ize" their Blackberrys. Hell, if you want all the features of an iPhone, get a freakin' iPhone! Blackberrys aren't designed for everybody. That's what makes them so good for the people for whom they are designed. It's a purpose-driven device. It's not a sin to use an iPhone, or a Nokia, or something else, if it better suits your own needs. Get the mobile that best fits your lifestyle. If that's not a Blackberry, that's OK. Really, it is!
Couldnt have said it better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rurapente View Post
Up until 2 weeks ago, I was the proud owner of an iphone 16GB 3G. Until it wa stolen.

I found it too hard to get a new one at suppliers near me so I bought the Blackberry Curve 8900. I did try the Storm in the shop, but after an iphone that Storm's touch screen felt like skating in a dessert vs on ice.

So here's my 2c.

Text Messaging
---------------
iphone : 5/10
8900 : 9/10
its no contest here, the messaging ability of the blackberry is by far superior. Yes iphone 3.0 software will make that difference smaller but still wont push it past the bb.

Phone Usage
------------
iphone : 8/10
8900 : 7/10
The only reason the iphone scored more points for me is that i could dial out of the phone book in about 1 key presses (to get the phonebook up). unless I dont know how to use my 8900, its a 10-key process to get to menu, phonebook etc. etc. [EDIT - it was my stupidity. ill make this a tie ]

Media Player
------------
iphone : 10/10
8900 : do i really even need to explain this?
Syncing music with blackberry is a mission of note. the player interface is very very far from intuitive and the same headphones showed worse sound quality on the same music files synced from itunes - which took about 2h to get right. (files not modified)

Functionality/Tactileness
-------------------------
8900 : 9/10
Although the iphone had qwerty, and one monster of an amazing touch-screen, having the buttons will always be a winner. Plus the auto-lock of the blackberry in its pouch is very, very handy

Applications
-------------
iphone : 10/10
8900 : 0/10

Unfortunately RIM's great idea of not allowing South Africans access to the app store is the dumbest thing I've heard. If anything, this will shoot down a blackberry vs iphone choice in my mind.

Battery Life
-----------
iphone : 6/10
8900 : 8/10

So far the BB is posting much higher life than my iphone. You can argue various technological reasons for the iphone but im talking strictly usability here.

Looks
------

iphone says "i'm modern, in touch with my entertainment and technology". 8900 says "i'm modern, in touch with my business and technology". i would say looks are irrelevant in this segment.

Ruggedness
-----------
iphone : 5/10

Both phones handle being dropped pretty well. The iphone loses points cause that nice metal back scratches quicker than a 2yr old with a razor blade.

My Verdict
-----------

The fact is, if I had to choose between these two phones, I just could not. Where one fails, the other excels. and vice-versa. Its a hard choice as both are very mature, they run well and do their jobs perfectly.

If I had to give one piece of advise on choice, if you want to look good, iphone. If you want to spend less and get similar if not better business abilities - blackberry.

Time for coffee.
Nice comparison, spot on!
Offline   Reply With Quote