View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 12:18 PM   #1515
elan19
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-mobile

I decided to do a wipe, and I did recover over 2 million bytes of memory (wow!).

However, I made two mistakes which is costing me a couple hours to rebuild my phone. I write this to help others with no experience doing wipes from making the same mistakes:

1) Turns out the blackberry desktop manager has aborted all my backups for the last 9 months - I suppose because part of my database was corrupt (just a guess). So the backup I thought I did just before the wipe was not recorded to the hard drive. Luckily, I store the data I care about in the cloud with Google, so this was not a big deal, other than the time consuming aspect of restoring various settings. Nevertheless for now on, I will always confirm that any BB backup I do was actually backed up.

2) I didn't understand that the option for 3rd party apps in the wipe command meant the apps would be wiped, not just data. Some I'm having to reinstall all my apps, which on my 8320 with EDGE is quite laborious (I'm not near WiFi at the moment). Only the BB Apps Word didn't get wiped.

It is interesting (annoying, actually) to see how time consuming it is to rebuild a BB with less than a dozen apps from scratch. Took me nearly 2.5 hours (including syncs, testing, settings changes etc.), though much of time I multitasked while waiting for various downloads to finish.