Old 11-16-2009, 01:35 PM   #20
StuartV
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Hey Stu, even with the added OS 5 feature, if you set your "other" timezone appointments in your current timezone, and then travel and your device changes the timezone automatically, you're gonna be screwed because your appointments will adjust based on the timezone in which they were saved.
I understand. It's a feature and if people use it without taking any time to understand it, they can screw themselves. That's life.

In this case, this seems to be exactly perfect for what the OP wants. Say you're in Atlanta and you schedule a conference call for 9:00am. You enter it in your calendar as normal, for 9am. Then you travel to LA. Your BB adjusts its timezone to Pacific time. But, you're meeting reminder will still go off at the right time (i.e. just before 9am East Coast time).

The only way you would screw yourself is if you enter an appointment for a certain time where it's the correct time for a different time zone than the one your BB thinks you're in. E.g. You're in Atlanta and you're going to be travelling to LA. You have meeting in LA at 9am local time. If you're in Atlanta (and your BB is set to East Coast time), and you just put the appointment in your Calendar for 9am (without also setting the appointment's Time Zone to Pacific), you'll be screwed.

Anyway, the point is, just like I said way back before 5.0 when people were talking about this (and many were arguing that the BB should NOT do this), the Auto TZ Update in 5.0 is a great feature to have. But, of course, if you don't use it correctly, you can shoot yourself in the foot.
Verizon 9550
Offline   Reply With Quote