Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

Model: 9700
PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuvalua View Post
Hello everyone,

I found this thread last night as I was searching for a solution to one of my biggest headaches! I purchased 10 Bold 9700 on TMo and need to use them with 3G on Rogers. I just called RIM and after a long rate the tech was able to confirm 100% that it is a software NOT hardware issue that determines which frequency the phone is tuned to for 3G. 3G frequency is set by the carrier in the software. He suggested that changing the firmware could very well do the trick.

Fine forum folks, how do we proceed with swapping the firmware?
Correct....it is firmware controlled. Not software controlled. Therefore by updating your software from say "rogers os 5.0.0.xxx" to "tmobile os 5.0.0.xxx", its not going to change the frequency bands.

In order to change frequency band, you would need to change the firmware. The process, which only RIM can do, requires you to put the device into CAL mode, and then load the correct firmware files. You as an end user, or carriers for that matter, do not have that ability because they lack the required proprietary software that RIM uses.
Offline   Reply With Quote