Old 12-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #16
toryander

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: tmobile
Default It was the pin in the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by labrickner View Post
I just did an exhaustive internet search and saw this suggestion to a similar post:
"Hi, I just saw your post. I think it is your USB port on your phone that is bad. Look inside and look at the 5 tiny pins that the USB connects to. Are they all uniformly visible. I think one of them is out of position or has disconnected from the inside. So the phone charges since the pins are connected for that part, but if does not connect to your pc since the pins used for that function are damaged."
And sure enough, when I look at my five pins, one appears to be damaged. I can't imagine that's a fixable thing for a phone that's not under warranty? So I guess a new phone is in order eventually. For now, it's not a big deal because I never need to sync unless I want to install something new.
Wow, I thought I would never get to the bottom of this. After this last post I looked in my 8320 and noticed one pin slightly out of position with the others. It's too small to fit anything in to mess with it. I put the USB back in and wiggled, nothing (no response from computer). I then pulled it out slightly (1/16th of an inch, maybe less). I saw a response. I finally got it positioned just right with the slightest adjustments and the computer now sees my phones. Interesting problem. Now I will reinstall BB desktop since I know it isn't the problem. Thanks for the post, Labrickner.