Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
techman1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Tour
Carrier: VZN

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
Moved.

I think schools have good intentions towards stopping bullying, but I don't think they will ever eliminate it. Some administrators/teachers are just not willing to stick their necks out (in extreme cases, perhaps) for fear of retribution (read: lawsuit) from the bully's parents, or even from some gun-toting freak (I'm pro-gun, uh, but not for students)

There is also cyber-bullying, which the schools can do little about, except to block access to computers or social networking sites. Don't even get me started on the bullying via cell phones. I'm just glad all this technology wasn't around when I was in school.

Knock on wood, neither of my kids have had issues with bullys at school. My son is 17 (6' 1", 270lbs, and plays hockey) so is pretty much left alone from bullys - although he is quite outgoing and gets along with almost everyone. My daughter is 11 and if someone gives her a hard time she gives it right back and/or will tell them where to get off (I have no idea where she got that 'tude ).
Juwaack and other on this thread, cyberbullying is the latest trend in bullying. As I have been both an educator as well as administrator in schools, problems lie in parents, teachers and administartors who believe bullying is just part of growing beinig totally insenitive to the consequences. We have seen across our country what some negative severe consequences are in schools (I don't think I need to mention). I personally witnessed in two school systems ignoring bullying by one or several students in schools because they were favorites.

There are US Department of Justice policies on the detection and prevention of bullying as well as laws. It will take this entire nation - parents, teachers, educators and organizations to take action whenever bullying exist or is known. It must be reported. My thoughts and research does document it is being address at the highest level. We don't need anyone to have their civil rights violated because someone doesn't like something about someone else.

Have a blessed day everyday!

Bob
Offline   Reply With Quote