View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 10:57 AM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Originally Posted by urrutiale View Post
Thank you Rambo and dc for your replies...would you know anything about the option of using wifi to connect to Blackberry msn (or any other)? some friends back in Venezuela told that it could be possible...I guess if not then I'll have to drive half an hour to the border to catch the Lebanese signal and be able to use the roaming from my Venezuelan simcard...the problem is that the Syrian signal doesn't disapear until exactly the middle of the 2 check points so I have to go through customs!!

Cheers,
You could possibly use WiFi, but your device still has to build a tunnel to the BlackBerry network, and I imagine that they will disallow Syrian IP addresses to connect. What you really need to do is to set up a hardware VPN back to Venezuela from your home or work Internet. You can then attach a WiFi router to that connection, and when your BlackBerry connects through that, the BlackBerry core will think you are connecting from Venezuela.

In the mean time, Lebanon is probably your best bet for getting service. Unfortunately though, as you mentioned, you usually have to get into the country to link up. They use directional antennas on the borders of countries to reduce the signal bleed into the other country. They do the same thing here in North America between the US, Canada, and Mexico.