View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #12
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
This was in the password protected RIM Support web site (obviously not THAT secure)...
Just so everyone knows, I do not have access to any secure RIM site. The company I work for does have TSupport accoun,t but I am not one of the 5 people who have access. I found these links on the Public Technical Knowledge Center > New Documents. Both files were listed plain as day.

New document listed now about the SIM Unlock Tool. It reads...

What Is- SIM unlock tool to correct SIM unlock issue
Last Updated: 19 January 2006
Article Number: KB-04783
Summary

This article applies to the following:

* BlackBerry® wireless devices manufactured between November 3 and December 15, 2005
* GSM, GPRS, and EDGE networks
* Carriers using a Subscriber Identity Module (SIM) unlock code shorter than 16 digits

Details

A change to manufacturing software tools affected BlackBerry devices for the GSM, GPRS, and Edge networks built between November 3, 2005 and December 15, 2005 for service providers using a SIM unlock code shorter than 16 digits. The SIM cards for these devices cannot be unlocked using the standard SIM unlock tool.

To correct this problem, a new SIM Unlock software tool is available. A BlackBerry user with an affected device can download the tool. After the tool has been downloaded and run, the SIM card can be unlocked using standard procedures.

Downloading and Running the SIM Unlock Tool

If you are using the BlackBerry 6700 wireless device™, download the file SIM Unlock Tool Serial BlackBerry.zip.

For other devices, download the file SIM Unlock Tool USB BlackBerry.zip.

1. Contact your service provider to obtain instructions and the SIM unlock code for your device.
2. Download the appropriate zip file for your device from BlackBerry.com.
3. Extract the file and save it to your personal computer.
4. Connect the device to the personal computer.
5. Double-click the downloaded file. If prompted, enter your device password. The unlock tool runs, and the device resets when complete.
6. Proceed with the SIM unlock instructions from your service provider.

Doug

Last edited by d_fisher; 01-19-2006 at 04:06 PM..