Old 01-23-2006, 05:03 PM   #21
auser
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703
Carrier: verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzio fucetola
You are correct. Many people on this board are very poorly informed on this topic.
I'm not totally informed, but I do remember reading that the Judge was the one who rejected the settlement.. because of NTP. Most courts want out of court settlements; for almost any litigation, including divorce. NTP, I believe, was asking for $1 billion, plus 5.7 percent of future sales (royalties). RIM offered 450mil, plus NO royalties. NTP was going to reject it anyway, but the Judge did it for them..saying the settlement was not fair.

For those that claim NTP should have taken the 450mil are only basing this on emotion and some mis-information. Considering that RIM is making multi-billion digits off of the technology, via its hardware... why would anyone accept a fraction of that as payment in full? Hindsight, if they (NTP) lose the case (which is unlikely because technically they already won), then, in hindsight, they should have taken the 450mil, until then, $1 billion plu 5-6% royalties seems like a fair settlement.. and I think the Judge agrees.

Last edited by auser; 01-23-2006 at 05:05 PM.. Reason: typos