Old 08-11-2010, 01:18 PM   #12
crboone
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsilverman View Post
If I had $100 billion, I would hire a bunch of engineers to create the perfect phone for me that could work on any network anywhere in the world, including one that I created only for me and my family. But I don't, and I want the newest Blackberry touchscreen phone, so I will buy the Torch and I will use it on ATT because that is who is selling it. If you don't like it, or you are on a different network, then you don't have to buy it. You also don't have to complain about it. If you are going to buy an iPhone or Droid, then what RIM does has no bearing on you or your life, so stop bellyaching and go buy the iPhone or the Droid.

It actually does impact me even though I've ordered an Android phone. The reason is because I currently own the original Storm and would have been happy to upgrade to a Storm III -- if I thought it might have some of the basic upgrades (along with the strengths of the BB) that other phones provide. I like my BB, but I also happen to want a little larger/nicer display, camera and processor. I'll miss the features of the BB, but at some point I'm willing to trade for the other features. I realize some don't need those upgrades, or cannot switch because their work provides the phone. But there are a lot of people in my position who have older BBs looking for something new to replace them with on Verizon, and there's nothing available comparable to the Storm/Storm II. And the "Storm III leaked slides" don't appear to be anything different from the Torch really. That's why people have traded in their Storms and Storm IIs for the Androids in droves. Maybe that's what RIM planned, I don't know.

This really isn't to bash RIM or the Storm, it's simply that there's nothing to trade up to. If I knew for sure that an upgraded Storm III were coming down the pipe with hardware upgrades in league with the other newest offerings I would stick with the Storm. That's a fairly simple and reasonable thing to expect, I believe. Your opinion may differ, of course.
Offline   Reply With Quote