Thread: new nextel?
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2004, 02:48 PM   #9
Gothalyptic
CrackBerry Addict

That's what it may say, but when it comes to it, BT is radio frequency, which is effected by MANY factors. My phone upstairs any my headset, it maybe 12 feet max in a straight line.

Security is an issue on BT, but not so bad as many think. True there is a thing called BlueSnarffing out there, and BlueJacking. Snarffing would allow someone to see and edit things on your device, jacking is nothing more then a BT push message that says stuff. The biggest risk of the two is snarffing, although most BT devices are capable of 2 way communications this isn't all that much of an issue. Leave BT turned off or hidden helps a lot, off helps 100%. If you have a BT device paired with a headset, and the headset is on and fully paired, no other device can easilly "see" your device. I refuse to own a non-bluetooth phone anymore, except my BB, for the simple fact it is quite secure. Motorola has it right by an automatic turn off on the BT, after 1 minute of inactivity, it's off, only to go out every 5 minutes or so to "search" for a device in it's history to pair to. Even with Bluesnarffing (yes I've tried, yes I've been successful, no not with another persons device, always my own or families devices), motorola has a defense, anything that can be edited, it VERY well hidden from bluesnarffing. My brothers Nokia I could delete anything, including phonebook entries, my V600, there was no way to even SEE them. If the software and chipset is done with care, as Moto has done (hence the late release of a BT phone by them, compaired to other companies), there is little if any security risk.

again just my .02 worth of investigating BT.

I'm a bluetooth freak, I love it love it love it!

Please use the Search feature to find a quick answer.

[url]htt