View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #16
dragonryder
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: Wi-fi reliability still an issue?

Router issues, I have discovered, depend on a couple of things. (at least here at my home) I have a newer router that was in the $40 range. It works fine until my daughter is home from college with her laptop, my son is using his game platform, my wife is on her laptop, and I'm on here playing in the forums. Then, because of the band width of the router, a couple of devices may get bumped off due to not enough space. Add the Torch using my WiFi and something has to get bumped. I plan to get a dual band router that will be in the $80-$100 range that will be able to handle all wireless devices in the home.
Also, I have upgraded to the .448 OS even though AT&T has only blessed .246 as the only OS available to their customers.

From PCMag.com:

Definition of: dual-band router

A wireless router that supports both frequency bands of the 802.11 wireless standard. Dual-band a/b/g routers handle 11a users in the 5 GHz band, while simultaneously supporting 11b/g users in the 2.4 GHz band.

Dual-Band N Routers
Dual-band a/b/g/n routers support both bands for 11n. They enable 11a and 11n users to transmit at 5 GHz and 11b/g and 11n users to transmit at 2.4 GHz; however, both bands may run simultaneously or only one band at a time. Simultaneous support provides load balancing and offers the most compatibility with all four standards (a, b, g and n). With simultaneous bands, data transfers could be configured, for example, on the 2.4 GHz network (SSID #1), while users who do video streaming could be configured on the 5 GHz network (SSID #2). See wireless router, 802.11n, 802.11 and SSID.

802.11 Frequency
Standard Band
11a 5 GHz
11b 2.4 GHz
11g 2.4 GHz
11n 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz

I hope this helps

Last edited by dragonryder; 03-27-2011 at 12:36 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote