Old 08-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #1
Robert_K
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default 2 MAJOR issues for Security minded Government Users

Please Login to Remove!

Received an evaluation 9930 from Verizon today.

Upon testing against our current procedures to activate and secure a BlackBerry I've found 2 very major and inconvenient issues.

1. Once I activate the device on our BES it applies the IT policy associated with a user's group but will never reconcile a different policy no matter if the user is removed from a policy or if the policy is added at a user level. Doesn't matter how many times I pull the battery and resend the IT policy from the BES. Its stuck in the IT policy applied to it when it was activated. This issue alone will cause it not to be added to our deployment schedule.

2. Certificate Synchronization. RIM really didn't think this through at all. Desktop Manager 6.0 and 6.1 do not support certificate synchronization so RIM's KB article only offers the solution to downgrade to 5.0.1 to obtain this feature again. That would be great if only Desktop Manager 5.0.1 was compatible with the 9930 (which its not). There is a method I can use get around this but the procedure is much more complicated and I'm not even sure our cyber security team will allow us to do it.

RIM touts its such a great phone for business due to its security and enterprise minded features then completely fumbles the first nice BlackBerry they've put out in years.

Last edited by Robert_K; 08-24-2011 at 02:25 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote