View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #7
duane534
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9930
PIN: Ask Me
Carrier: AT&T
Default Re: If I want a Bold 9900 to use on AT&T, Who is the best company to buy it from?

I know that the bloatware is really easy to hide. I just don't like it, by principle. It's what kicked me off of Android. It's MY device. Even if I buy it subsidized, I pay a bill for two years. It is my device.

I run OS 7.1, but I'd prefer a device that officially runs 7.1, so that it won't be a problem in the event I have to do warranty work.

The fact that there was CarrierIQ on ANY BlackBerry, regardless of how it got on there, burns me to no end. Not against RIM. Just against the industry. Load balancing can be performed without software on the device.

The fact that I can change my APN on the Mobile Hotspot lets me get hotspot without paying for an additional data allowance. I assume the way that they control that is through a service book. Thus, that should be the same, regardless of what it is branded, as long as it is NOT AT&T-branded. Right? (I'm on tiered data. I'm not using it to put excessive load on the network. I just pay for 200 MB of data and would like the option to use it however I like.)

I wasn't actually trying to NOT carry a data plan, but that does present me with some ideas. I have some friends and family on other carriers who I could see getting on #TEAMBLACKBERRY. I guess that if I gave them my older BlackBerry handsets, that could get them in. They wouldn't HAVE to carry a data plan, as the carrier wouldn't know what the device IS, but when they inevitably want data, they'll be hooked on the Crack.

For me, I think I will poke around Fido and Rogers' sites and see what a white 9900 will run me. CrackBerry Kevin's got me wanting a white one.
Offline   Reply With Quote