NoBox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT&Verizon
Default Re: BlackBerry Future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
I believe BlackBerry realizes that their first foray into the tablet market was a big miss. I think they're at the point of cutting their losses in that market space. As for QNX, yes it has a lot of potential in different platforms and BlackBerry would be smart to lease it out.

However, as long as they're still making devices with QNX on them, they would be wise to support it if they plan to lease their software. Otherwise, buyers will have no confidence in buying a QNX based device.

Now if BlackBerry went the route of Android by allowing other manufacturers to put QNX on their devices, then this would be a different story. I could see that being a possibility. From what I've read Samsung wants to get away from Android and possibly have a proprietary OS, or maybe they'd be interested in QNX. Nokia, HTC, etc could jump on as well and it would do wonders for QNX as a platform, just like it did for Android.

To get back on topic, I think it will be a while before we have to worry about BlackBerry not having "fixes" for their smartphones.
Personally I agree. But this is a General BlackBerry Discussion area and these were comments by big name investment firms. Their attitudes play a significant role in the future of most firms.

It may be old hat to some, but it was new to me that BlackBerry was redefining itself to be a much broader company. That speaks well for their corporate future.
Offline   Reply With Quote