Thread: bluetooth sync
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2006, 01:46 PM   #9
jfkuchta

Model: 8800
Carrier: AT&T
Wink Bluetooth Sync - Finally successful and loving it

Short of being on the BES, the Bluetooth sync is good stuff. Here's a couple areas where I got hung up and hope this helps others:

Follow the knlowledge article on Bluetooth sync to a T. There's really no easy way to skip any of the steps. There are workarounds however. I apologize for not being able to summarize with proper links to threads, but I'm new blood and can't post links yet. With proper key word searches on this site, you should be able to find any appropriate workarounds.

From what I have read so far, the folllowing two issues seem to be what's holding the majority of people up:

1. Bluetooth adaptor/dongle: in order for the SP2 drivers to find your adaptor/dongle, it must be supported by your bth.inf file. If not, see Morser's post on this subject for a way to edit the bth.inf file. Once that file has your adaptor/dongle info, the SP2 drivers should load.

2. No matter how you try to avoid it, you must have "Desktop Connectivity" and "Wireless Bypass" listed under your Bluetooth options. For those not on BES or do not have access to an IT person that can push you a BES policy, this is tricky. From what I have read and tried, a fresh policy.bin will not help here. You will need a BES to push these policies to your device. Now, a little secret that may get me in trouble with the folks at RIM - they do operate a test BES and can push the policy to you (they did it for me). Just a word of advice on how to approach it - do not call RIM directly; they always want you to try to get the problem solved by your carrier's Tech support. While we all know that the carriers' tech support can not help on this type of issue, go ahead and humor them with a call first, and when they can not figure it out, they will put you in touch with RIM tech support. Now, RIM tech support will also not be forthcoming with the fact that they can push a policy to you, so let them go through the checklist with you. When you get to the point of discussing the missing policy issues, they will explain that you need to be on a BES. Mention to them that this is not possible for you, and you are dissapointed that they are not able to assist. At that point, assuming your speaking with someone who is not a complete jerk, they should tell you that they will escalate your case and get back to you within 24 hours. When they get back to you, they should push the policies to you from their test BES. If you have a way for someone else to push these policies to you, try that first before hitting up RIM as I really don't think they are keen on doing this. I understand RIM's security issues and stance here, but I also believe that they need to catch up to their constantly increasing base of consumer (not business) users that may not be on a BES or have access to one and have a restrictive policy (due to e-bay purchase or otherwise).

3. If desktop manager still can not find your device, try pairing by having your device find your computer (and not vice versa) and then let Desktop Manager find your device.

Hope this helps.