Old 08-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #39
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkman
So with that being said, I don't understand the delay. Design a BB, Design an OS, then insert appropriate radio code (GSM, CDMA, iDEN, etc.). I understand there will be some differences with chips (concerning the radio portion), but wouldn't everything else be the same? I don't see why there is such a delay.
LOL, yes, the code is trivial, relatively speaking, as it can be migrated from earlier devices. As you note, its totally different radio hardware (chips) for the different versions. So, design a different version, with a new circuit board, build prototypes, test it, submit it to the FCC and other regulatory bodies and wait for approval (probably the longest part of the process) put it into production and get it to market - that's all there is to it! Oh - don't forget the step of getting a CDMA carrier to commit in advance to buy enough volume to make it worthwhile in the first place! The delay *might* be more from the carrier than from RIM. Build a GSM version, sell it to dozens of carriers worldwide. Build a CDMA or iDen unit and sell it to one or two carriers.