Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebassett
SanFran

Sorry to see you go..particularly if you're being flamed...but there's a few points I'd like to raise that are relevant...

1) Differences in cultural backgrounds - in the uk there's a tradition of banter or "piss-taking" - i.e. making sarcastic fun of people whether friends or work colleagues. This also extends to forums, and one of the sporting forums I use (very uk based) has lots of this..but generally it's all good natured and we even get together every month to settle some of the banter over a beer.

I'm not sure whether this happened here (I haven't read many of the posts), but one mans banter is another man's slander. If you're exposing private personal details in a technology forum then you open yourself up for more banter than someone that doesn't.

2) There seem to be a lot more newbs around..I'm relatively new myself but either I know more about BB's now, or the average user knows less. I guess this has been driven by RIM making the pearl more of a consumer entity and lowering the barriers to entry on the BES side.

As someone that actively follows the admin forum, i'm getting a little frustrated about newbs that ask Q's that can readily be found with a bit of effort (e.g. blackberry.com site or product documentation) and I've found myself having to hold back from a quick RTFM or other similar sarcastic question.

Let's remember that not everyone on this forum is from the USA and that not everyone has the same high personal standards as others might...but as don't hateme13 says you take the rough with the smooth...
Very nicely put