View Single Post
Old 12-08-2006, 05:56 PM   #27
hinrich

Model: 8303
Carrier: verizon
Default depends on what you do/want

I've now had a 950, 7520, 7100i, then 8703. First I didn't mind the SureType on the 7100i, but I learned to hate it over time. The bottom line is:

If you type little and/or mostly normal words, SureType is OK or may even be great for you. In any case, it will need a lot more attention I found .

But: if you type a lot, especially using technical or otherwise not-so-normal words, use a lot of abbreviations or acronyms, or type in in multiple languages especially ones that the BB doesn't have, it becomes a pain, even with the built-in learning capabilities. I eventually turned learning off because it also learns everything you mis-type (and there will be a lot!), and then you have to go in and ditch all the misspelled stuff frequently.

In the end, for me a business-ready Blackberry still must have a QWERTY keyboard. If typing is low on the list, SureType is OK. It's certainly better than the pick-a-letter crap on normal phones!

I also find that the keyboard quality for QWERTY BBs is much better, I had to replace the keypad on the 7100i after a few months already. Maybe RIM feels the same about who should be using QWERTY and who ST?