Old 01-09-2007, 08:56 PM   #94
DallasFlier
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
PIN: OT NOIR
Carrier: AT&T/Cingular/AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingchuner
iPhone was just announced today from Apple moments ago, and while their stock soared, blackberrry's plummeted. Could this be the new blackberry killer, features on this thing are amazing....

• All of the other smartphones don't look so "smart" now, do they?
ONLY if you're gullible enough to believe everything Apple says!
• Research In Motion (RIM) shares plummet 6.5%...
• Steve listening to music, Phil calls, music fades out, Phil asks for photo, Steve finds it and emails it to him while talking. Hangs up - music fades back up and resumes playing.
Yep, gullible again! This thing runs on GSM, Edge, WiFi and Bluetooth - and ONLY on Cingular, which doesn't support UMA calls over WiFi. So lets see Steve find a photo and email it while he's talking - can't be done, except in a mocked up demo!
• AAPL up $4.21, or +4.93%, to $89.68...
• View multiple webpages - cool effects - Exposé- and CoverFlow-like
• Zooming on webpages via touch
• Mail on iPhone looks just like Apple Mail - full or split-screen
• Push IMAP email - like Blackberry
Uhh, PUSH email is ONLY for yahoo mail, everything else is polled. You want PUSH corporate mail, like most BlackBerry users need? Sorry Charlie!
• Connects to any POP3 or IMAP email
Yep - polled only - NO push unless its for yahoo mail.
• Free Yahoo IMAP (and POP) email for all iPhone customers
Good thing, since its the ONLY push email available!
• Safarti web browser
• Dashboard Widgets
What the heck is a "Dashboard widget", except for marketing-speak gobbledygook?
• Google Maps - directions, satellite images...
Oh - you mean like I've had on my BlackBerry for quite some time now?
• Photos - portrait and landscape - turn the device and it displays the image correctly - zoom in and out with a touch
• SMS messaging - QWERTY keyboard on touch screen
Has ANYBODY tried to type on a small touchscreen-only simulated QWERTY keyboard? Anyone? Didn't think so.
• Conference calls... Speakerphone mode...
Revolutionary! Oh wait, my BB has had that for quite some time now. Nevermind.
• Touch your music
Touch my music? Personally, I prefer to listen to my music. :shrug:
• Visual voicemail
• Quad band GMS+Edge, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth
• UI looks amazing
With NO keyboard at all? Amazing? Says who, Apple?
• Apple has reinvented the phone
Yessirree Bob - according to Apple at least...
• Bulit-in speaker
Amazing!!!! You're kidding!!! Oh wait, so does my BlackBerry - neverrrrrmind!
• Video looks high quality - WOW!
• Apple iPhone features two-megapixel camera
• Proximity sensor automatically shuts off screen when you bring it up to your ear
And if that nifty sensor automatically shuts off the screen when someone with a relatively small head puts it up to their ear, it will ALSO automatically shut off when someone puts a LARGE hand close to it! Nifty!
• Ambiant light sensor saves power
You mean like the sensor in my year old 8700?
• Accelerometer - knows if it's in landscape or portrait position
G-U-L-L-I-B-L-E You believe that? OK, try this - put the phone on your desk in landscape position, then without touching the phone, walk around the corner of your desk and tell me if it switched to portrait mode? NO?? Didn't think so - so much for that foolproof ability to know whether its in landscape or portrait.
• iPod dock connector - headphone jack - 11/16-inch thin
• Works like magic - no stylus - Multi-Touch - multi-finger gestures
• Fully syncs with iTunes
• Runs desktop class apps - not crippled apps - and full networking
• iPhone runs on Mac OS X - five years ahead of everything... <---(BEST FEATURE OF ALL)
BEST OF ALL, too bad its not true though. It runs OS X just like the Q runs Windows - oh yeah, its "called" OS X and it has similar "look and feel" but its NOT OS X that you can transfer your MacApps to, any more than you can transfer your Windows apps to the Q. The analysts have already debunked that little lie.
• Apple sahres up 3.5% to $88.48
• Multi-Touch' technology
• Revolutionary user interface - patented - years in development
MORE marketing-speak from Apple! Ho hum
• Called "iPhone" - it's an iPod + mobile phone + internet communicator all in one device
Yep, and Cisco owns the REGISTERED trademark to "iPhone" since 2000 and introduced one recently - let the legal wars begin!

I WANT ONE!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rejhon
The Apple multitap touchscreen technology solves a lot of problems
- It turns off when brought up to face
And I'll be willing to bet that if THAT is true, then there will also be problems with it turning off when its brought close to a large hand - mark my words!
- It automatically filters out touches that don't feel like a finger (people hate those). The multitap technology reads a 2D grid snapshot of what's touching the screen, and only registers on finger-shaped touches.
- You can actually rest your hand on it and still tap a part of the screen; it will ignore the rest of your hand. You can write using a stylus with your hand resting on screen. (People hate touchscreens that only require one point of contact)
OK, I'm confused. It "filters out touches that don't feel like a finger" and "only registers on finger-shaped touches", but at the same time you can "write using a stylus with your hand resting on screen." Sooooo, is one of those statements false, or do they supply a specially designed stylus that "feels like a finger" and is shaped like a finger???
WOW, truly amazing at how many just assume if its Apple it must be nirvana. Expect this to have all the shortcomings of the first generation Windows-Mobile phones, along with a few of its own based on the as-yet-untested user-interface.