View Single Post
Old 01-14-2007, 12:08 AM   #98
geekdaddy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default That was funny :)

Enjoyed the Colbert report!

While I believe the market is diverse and large enough for a lot of different devices, I don't expect to be an iPhone owner anytime soon. Two words (or three?):

Touch-Screen Keyboard.

That's it. I don't care what Apple did to it, on-screen keyboards suck. They always have. Nobody with a strong need or desire for instant messaging and/or email will tolerate it for very long.

There are also the other issues cited by others here with respect to push email support, corporate infrastructure & security, viewing/editing std office docs, etc.

That said, Apple can resolve any and all of these issues with future design spins & revisions if they want to.

I think the iPhone will do very well with the iPod users that want a phone too. Apple's brand is flying sky high so a lot of people will also buy them so they can be seen using it. After all, how many iPod users are out there with 40 or 50 tunes loaded on them? ...and I met a professional woman using a pearl the other day. She doesn't use push email nor does she have a data plan and said she didn't like the phone very much. Her husband got it for her because he heard they were good.

So... The iPhone will probably sell well but won't take over the world. There will be future versions that get better. Apple's unique approach to product design and UI's will influence the phone and smartphone competitors. It's all good