View Single Post
Old 07-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #27
powercx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

On to a second round of review.

After 15 miles of driving in Traffic, the program did something very unique.

I live in the Bay Area, San Francisco Area. Going home traffic usually happens before my exit. But yesterday, there was some major accident and Garmin Mobile routed me to take another Freeway early on. I thought it was weird. So I avoided the suggestion by going to my usual route. If I didn't know the route, I would have taken the direction displayed on the GPS.

Of course, to my surprise, 2 miles later, there was traffic, dead as a bird, stop and go and it was too late for me to take the last exit, so I had to keep on going on that freeway. Another GPS that would take me off my regular route if there was traffic was my Nuvi 360. I was in Los Angeles and it would tell me to go to another freeway. And when I disregard the route and continue my way, it would continue on suggesting an exit, time after time, I would get tired of it. But I didn't know what's wrong with the GPS since the route I usually take is the correct one. The Nuvi 360 was correct, there was traffic up ahead, but funny thing was that it knows 10 miles ahead of time, suggesting me to take another freeway. I could have saved myself 20 minutes if I were to follow the route on my GPS.

So this concludes that the Garmin Mobile will suggest a different route without telling you the reason. Unlike Telenav, it would continue on and then report the traffic up ahead and gives you a choice to avoid it or continue on. If I choose to avoid it, it would calculate a different route and then brief you on it. It will tell you if it's 0 minutes faster or 10 minutes faster. Never tell you if it's slower. If you like to accept the suggested traffic avoidance route, you hit the 0 button and voila. It guides you the rest of the way. But not with Garmin Mobile.

Another thing I noticed is that if I'm on the phone chatting, and you go off-route, it will not re-route for you. I would have to hang up so it can connect to Data. This doesn't happen on my Cingular 8525 (Windows Mobile 5.0 Phone PDA) with Telenav. I guess there's a big difference between EDGE and HSDPA (3.5G).

Last edited by powercx; 07-26-2007 at 04:01 PM..