View Single Post
Old 07-30-2007, 12:52 AM   #1
brittonx
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint
Default I ditched the GPS-crippled Verizon for a Sprint 8830 - Here's the status so far...

Please Login to Remove!

After much frustration with Verizon's position regarding disabling the GPS on the 8830, I ordered and received a Sprint 8830.

1.) The voice quality seems to be much better. My wife complained when I got the Verizon device that she couldn't hear me clearly. I am using the exact same Jabra BT500 headset that I was using with my Cingular 8700c, then the Verizon 8830, then the Sprint 8830.

2.) Having the functional GPS is great! I played a round of Golf on Saturday. I used a golf score card application which also uses GPS to tell you the distance to the tee if you have the course data. It was a great example of why it is important that the internal GPS be functioning on the device.

3.) While I have not tried it yet, the Sprint unlimited data plan also allows me to tether the 8830. I expect to try it out this coming week.

4.) For coverage areas where Sprint's network doesn't reach, they have extensive roaming agreements which include not only voice but also data roaming, both for free. I think this addresses most of the shortcomings in their network. (Verizon is one of their roaming partners)

5.) I much prefer the 8830 in black. The Sprint 8830 looks sharp.

6.) The Sprint 8830's keyboard has a much better tactile feedback. I thought the mechanicals were supposed to be the same however the keyboard feels tons better on the Sprint.

7.) I am delighted to take my money away from Verizon and to a carrier who has opened up the 8830 to be all it was designed to be instead of limiting it.