View Single Post
Old 09-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #17
HuwSy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
This is program dependent, I believe telenav caches the entire trip locally.
What happens when your in the middle of nowhere where theres no reception and you finally come to the admission taht yes you are very very lost. No data reception to even begin getting a route back.

Quote:
every BB plan that I have seen in the USA is unlimited.
All those in the uk are limited at about 4mb a month on average, having so called unlimited plans at a further cost and still being limited just you have to read fine print to findout what at.

Quote:
It is also logical to think that if they won't shell out $$s for a data plan, they won't shell out $$s for a map subscription either.
At about $540 for an 18month contract of "unlimited" data and bb dataplan of which $216 for the unlimited data for the 18 month, i think id rather pay the $216 to have maps offline knowing theyl always be there even if i dont pay the next year. Or if its a one off fee and update whenever then even better Especially as there majoritivly based of teleatlas maps which only update in the uk every 6 months or so, not sure about anywhere else but with almost complete global coverage i cant imagine its that often. Its renting and buying, why rent when you can own.

Quote:
Who would you petition? It's the GPS app developers that need to address this demand. Are any of you that want this bothering to contact Telenav, Garmin, etc etc?
RIM could make a solution potentially, but seems most likely itl be wayfinder with the 1st usable solution seeing as there the only ones working on a j2me based sat nav app that can use maps downloaded of there site, so probably no need to petition at this point, just make sure they know theres a demand.