View Single Post
Old 09-28-2007, 03:17 PM   #14
thunder33cat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T

Ugh. Tried it vs. Telenav for a trip from DC to the Philly burbs...

Interface: The interface on the 8830 is a bit cludgy... Address entries and such are less intuitive and take longer.

Use: Went to enter my home address (established neighborhood and street) and it couldn't locate it, while it provided some rather nonsensical alternatives in Western PA. I tried various methods to get at a more refined search to no avail. Ended up choosing the nearest town center as destination. The display and audio are generally very good. I like the turn by turn display more than the map, for several reasons... (1) lag and map refresh - even with a solid EVDO signal, I was outdriving the map on a consistent basis, (2) the compass circle clutters the interface, (3) the color choices are pretty harsh in terms of contrast and clarity, and (4) the location arrow is huge. Additionally, the software gets confused at interstate interchanges with cloverleaves and under/overpasses, locking onto the wrong road, which leads to... a prolonged delay while re-routing.

So... why is it still on my Blackberry? I think it has a lot of promise. I like the map detail. I haven't had a chance to really check out the aerial and hybrid maps. The voice prompts are fairly good. I think it will be fine for some pedestrian and biking use for right now. I hope they keep working on refining this, because I'd like to have a choice and not be relegated to Telenav.

My $0.02.
Offline   Reply With Quote