View Single Post
Old 06-28-2005, 12:59 PM   #35
sempai
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8xxx
Carrier: T-Mobile, US

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase88
I agree that in theory the Microsoft "push" solution will be cheaper from an IT perspective.

What about the end user?

If I were to go with a PPC device, I'd have to subscribe to a non-Blackberry data plan. And as I suspect that the Microsoft "push" solution will be quite chatty with the Exchange server, I'd likely need an unlimited data plan. So that pushes the monthly fee from $60CAD to about $100CAD. And while $40 per month won't discourage most of us, if I was a company deploying hundreds of these devices...well...that's a big difference.
I'm not so sure.

The Microsoft solution uses notifications to alert the client that something has changed. Then the client performs a pull for near-real-time synchronization.

Please stop saying this will require a PPC device. It doesn't and will not. Nokia and Sony Ericsson do NOT make PocketPC devices, they DO however have ActiveSync devices under active development, based on Symbian Series 60/80 and UIQ.

And in the United States market, this doesn't have to be expensive. Unlimited data plans from T-Mobile USA currently run you USD$19.