Old 12-07-2007, 01:09 PM   #32
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Rivvie...or anyone else...Are there settings in DD-WRT that optimize battery life on the wireless device? It seems like my battery is taking a bigger hit with the DD-WRT. I have WMM enabled but left all the defaults in all the settings because I didn't really know what they all meant.
It's most likely the Beacon interval that we all adjusted from 100ms to 50ms -- this means the client <=> server connection (the heartbeat - beacons are management packets of about 50bytes) is operating twice as fast as it used to; as you can surmise, this means the phone has to work "twice as hard" (not really, but more than it did before) which I'm *sure* equates to slightly more battery use. That's my theory at least.

One possible outside shot (I don't think it is this, but it's a valid premise) is that the encryption/decryption code is not as clean as in the stock Linksys code, so perhaps while using WEP/WPA/whatever the device's need to encrypt/decrypt is somehow affected and it has to do more work. You could try using the MAC limiting features of DD-WRT then turning off encryption completely, so all the work (MAC matching) is done by the router and the phone is just pumping out bits, unencrypted.

YMMV and every other acronym that means "I'm drinking coffee in my jammies and haven't tested any of this".