View Single Post
Old 02-07-2008, 05:22 AM   #14
SimonBrocklehurst

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbones View Post
Its the server in some way. Can you use pop3 or OWA instead of IMAP? IMAP can be problematic.
The current version of the Vodafone UK BIS admin doesn't seem to let you specify IMAP vs POP or ports to use etc (unless I'm missing something). It seems to insist on auto-configuring everything once you supply the address of the mail server etc. Previous versions of the BIS admin let people specify ports.

Also, I'm not sure about people would find using POP acceptable (similar issues, I suspect, as with your suggested workaround below). Can't use OWA - the mail server isn't an Exchange Server.

Quote:
Do you have problems with a message saying that the email account is not validated?
Well, we've had that only once or twice. However, it doesn't seem to be related to the "delivering hundreds/thousands of messages" problems; or the general problem of messages stopping being deleted all together. Those are apparently caused by some corruption of data in the Service Books on the Blackberry (given that deleting the service books, resetting the device, and re-sending the service books fixes the problems).

Quote:
If you get a period of time where they are not arriving, call Voda and ask for Blackberry internet helpdesk. Give them one of the affected PIN's and they can see on the BIS admin site if there has been any errors logged.
I've done this - there are never any errors logged.

Quote:
The biggest problem is when the account is open on outlook at the same time. Check the local machine has the setting to "leave a copy on the server" otherwise outlook will intercept the message before the BB can.
This isn't a part of the problems we're experiencing.

Quote:
Could you not have forwarding rules to the BB email address? EG forward everything to [email address] and then set the reply to address to [email address].

That way any polling problems will be bypassed completely, yet the emails sent from the device will appear to have been send from your server.
This is a good idea for a workaround. I'll look into that, and see if people are happy to use it. One potential issue with this workaround is that it won't let people delete messages on the server from the Blackberry.

Thank you for your suggestions - it's appreciated.