Old 02-26-2008, 03:40 PM   #3
misterb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandt View Post
I did a fair amount of searching on here before posting this. I also had tried numerous times myself with various methods and attempts before finally calling RIM. I'm more than happy to have shelled out the $49 bucks to RIM in order to get this functioning but more importantly to share that information with you guys.

Here's the skinny, and here's what I've found to be very very helpful.
RIM apparently has have updated their systems internally to recognize any gmail hosted(including Google Apps) e-mail addresses as Gmail accounts. They are internally RIM prioritized as being Gmail and receive "Notification Request's" which is what makes it push. When you use your Google Apps e-mail and password the BIS SHOULD see google in your MX records and automatically flag it. NOTE: this is not 100% YET.

If you're account was setup already you should delete it and try again.

What I've found is that you should wait at least 72 hrs after integrating the Google Apps account BEFORE trying this. I believe a large amount of the problems I was having was due to the fact that my DNS & MX records had not fully updated themselves yet. Give your domain and hosting service some time to get those google records nice and warm in your domain.

If that still doesn't work, it's time to call rim. You'll have to do some minimal customer servicing/explaining but eventually they'll ask their supervisor and they'll do it.

I'm unbelievably proud, thrilled, and excited to share that it's fully integrated via Gmail's push and the technician was equally excited when he told me we had gotten the "Notification Request"/push for my domain!

Hope this helps anyone from any headaches.

p.s- One last thing to remember, your domain now functions as a Gmail and while that gives you the push, you also get the DUPLICATES. Use your filters and any other problem solvers you run into as you would with a regular gmail account.

Thanks for doing this. I called my carrier a week ago to try and solve this issue and asked to be transferred to RIM, but they said they didn't have that ability.

Anyway, it seems that you have solved one issue (push), but that there are some other things you still need to resolve for this to be working properly. First off, full two way sync is a must, and so is NOT receiving duplicates. I believe I found a fix for this last night. Head to your Google apps account, click on settings, and the forwarding and pop. Make sure that IMAP is selected, and then click below where it has instructions on how to set up your email client or device. Tell it you have a BlackBerry, and then follow the instructions on your carrier's BIS site. Make sure to also check the box that says to delete items between the account and the device. Doing the setup this way also makes it so that your BB will not receive sent items as new mail. You don't have to set up any goofy filters, etc. for this functionality. If you follow the instructions for IMAP, it just takes care of it for you.

Now, make sure that once your account is set up and you receive the confirmation on your BB, that you also go in to the mail settings for that account. Open the account, go to options, email reconciliation, and then change delete on to: mailbox and handheld. Doing so will give you two way sync where if you delete an email from Gmail, it will delete it from your BB and if you delete one from your BB it will delete it from Gmail.

Now, the question is if it will do the two way sync instantly. I tried this, and everything seems to work great, except for it can sometimes take an hour for it to sync up. That's unacceptable. Hopefully your conversation with RIM will shed some light on this, and if your domain is set up for true push, it will also do instant sync. Please try the above steps, and let us know how it works.

Until I know it syncs instantly, the Gmail application software is still better for me. If you have not downloaded that for your BB, you may find that it is better than the BB email software. It lets you search your entire database of "all mail", lets you view attachments, syncs both ways, etc. The only downfall is that it isn't always instant, and it moves around a bit slower than the BB email program. There's always an F'ing give and take with this sort of stuff, it seems.
Offline   Reply With Quote