Old 05-05-2008, 02:43 PM   #16
Alex Alexzander
No longer Registered.

Model: 8310
PIN: 2434CB8D
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonnerd View Post
Having owned an iPod Touch since they came out I'm seriously thinking of buying an iPhone to use along with my BB 8820. As I'm extremely BB focused and receive work emails (BES) 24x7, I'm wondering about the logistics of carrying two devices where one is purely work and one is for "fun". Anyone doing this regularly? As I read work emails nights, weekends, and vacations, I can't just ditch the BB during those periods (yeah I need a life).

I don't ever see the iPhone replacing my BB even with the upcoming Activesync Exchange support (although we probably will allow Exchange attach in the future).

I do not want this to turn into a BB vs iPhone discussion, as I already understand the pros and cons of both quite well. I'm just curious if I will get my $500 worth of "fun" out of the iPhone while I'm still "tethered" to my BB for most of my waking hours .
Thoughts??
You could go with both, but in my experience what will likely happen is you will pick one of the two, and just stop using the loser. I had a Mac and a PC for the same reasons as you. The Mac ended up winning. I also said I'd never switch to the iPhone. Said here on these very same forums much the way you are now. And I checked it out and I was actually not impressed at all. I bought a regular iPod and started to use that more and more against my Zune. When I totally switched to the Mac, the BB felt odd. Even Exchange felt odd. Within a week, I was calling AT&T to shut down my beloved BlackBerry.

The fact that you want both says something to me. You like your BB but find something compelling enough about the iPhone. Pretty soon you'll find ways to replace functions you depend on the BB for with the iPhone. It goes like that. Pretty soon, you're explaining to a forum full of people why you switched from one to the other as if asking for permission for what feels like betrayal.

If this is how you wish to proceed along the path, go for it. Worse case is, you find yourself selling the iPhone cause you don't like it. It will hold some value, so it's like it's really $500. It's whatever the difference is.

-Alex Alexzander
Offline   Reply With Quote