View Single Post
Old 10-10-2007, 05:11 PM   #19
Chinoxs203
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

so i figured out what i was asking..

if it says UMA on the top while in browser you are using EDGE/GPRS with the capability of UMA calls but not wifi internet on this connection, Even tho the home screen shows wifi status connected and with a wifi IP address associated with the device. (options > wifi connections > BB button > wifi diagnostics)

so what this means i can make UMA calls but use the browser in GPRS/EDGE mode at the same time..

i can prove this. the network that is displayed in image above requires you to register the MAC of any internet enabled device and wireless internet devices must have some form of VPN connection established to use the wireless network. (which i never did with the device yet).

I tested one bookmark and changed it to connect to wifi browser from internet browser, and we should all know that any wifi bookmark only works on wifi not edge/gprs. when i try to connect to this bookmark (see pic 2) it has the faded grey wireless symbol and then i get a 404 error and then sent to our wireless registration page with wifi now bold. all while the device still is connected to wifi with an IP.

i can browse to any webpage not set to use wifi browser which shows UMA (pic 3) ..which means that the UMA symbol substitutes the EDGE/GPRS connection and image that would be displayed when no wifi connection is established. go a head and set your home routers to only allow specific MAC address and see what happens.

i am home now on my home network and have the bold wifi symbol in my browser which confirms what is stated above.
Offline   Reply With Quote