View Single Post
Old 06-29-2005, 03:12 PM   #53
kindkris

Model: 7100T

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimey
I had my previous employer pass one down to me, it wasn't that hard.

I'm starting to think that most of these request are bogus, and am glad it(bin file) is not posted.

Based on my experience, I have to disagree that most of these requests are bogus. This "feature" of locking an IT Policy on a device for life is not one that seems to be widely understood. I did not leave my company but simply switched from Verizon to T-Mobile and, therefore from a 7250 to the 7100t, and without understanding the ramifications of this ITPolicy trap, I disconnected the old phone from the BES, ported my phone number to T-Mobile and cancelled my account with Verizon without resetting the default policy. Once I realized there problem, it was too late. After countless hours on the phone with my company's IT support, as well as Verizon Wireless, I realized that this is not a well understood issue (I've had to re-explain the situation to every level of support, all of whom asked me the same questions, "Did you try wiping it, or typing an incorrect password 10 times and reloading the apps?"). There is also no common understanding of the solution and if it weren't for these threads, I'd probably be rubbing magnets on the back of it by now.

Thankfully, with great persistence I was finally able to get a BES Admin to assist me in resolving this (using the procedures outlined in this thread), but they still did not seem to really have an understanding of this issue. They only sent me the file to get me off of their backs.

I'm in agreement that posting the bin file for public consumption is not a good idea. However, I think it's ridiculous that the phone companies don't have a way to reset the devices (at least not Verizon). So long as all data is wiped out simultaneously, I'm not sure I understand the security risks to an organization. They are selling these devices to their customers and it seems only sensible they should have a method of cleaning them up to their original factory settings.