Old 10-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #14
rivviepop
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flar View Post
I'm sure all are aware that they have the option to drop the Airport Extreme router and go with a supported solution. But this thread is not about how they can get rid of their AE - it's about investigating what they might be able to do to get it working.
Never said it wasn't, and in fact you'll find many posts from me trying to help people - I just happened to have expressed an additional anti-fanboy statement that riled the hackles on a few folks, which I'm used to. Make any comment that Apple might do something wrong and people get red in the face.

Quote:
With respect to why they are struggling so hard to hold on to their N device - it may be faster than our broadband connections, but it is not faster than my NAS servers and it is the only wireless protocol that is fast enough for my media center devices 2 rooms away through a brick fireplace. N is not a luxury for me, and I'm for sure many others...
So buy a $50 router and plug it into the Airport as a subnet - Lunk does this, his works great. Who said you had to sacrifice anything? I said that a $50 piece of hardware solves the problem. (this is 'you' in the generic sense, don't mean you specifically)

Quote:
...and the Airport Extreme router is (link) so certified. It may not yet be a standard and it may be fresh off the drawing board, but it is a little more deterministic than voodoo science.
...and I can point out 10 "UPnP Certified" routers - by the IEEE - that do not work. I've learned to never trust a single piece of marketing, documentation or other written BS until I've gotten my hands on it and made it work.

Anyways, done in this thread - see ya in the next one.