View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007, 09:32 PM   #42
Jagga
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Z10
Carrier: Lord Rogers - 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzle
If you don't care about WiFi and want it now, the 8800 is a great choice.
Hmm here are some VERY impressive and compelling reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETPhoneHome
People want wifi to be able to use the UMA service that T-Mobile has been testing that allows you to seamlessly switch, even while mid call, from using normal cellular minutes to wifi VOIP, which is unlimited.
Remember RIMS first foray into WiFi, the 7270? EVERYONE doesn't remember that - consumers usually on BIS because its a BES only device.

PBX baby!!! Corporate Executives will LOVE THIS feature! And Cingular better be scared if Tmobile gets this along with their UMA technology working. You wanna talk about CRACKBERRY - Naturopathic practitioners ... get ready for a pay increase! Imagine you're a CEO/CFO/chairman or manager of a huge department where you MUST be in contact at all times.

Forget that Cisco phone or keep it in the office. You leave your desk for a meeting, your Cisco network PBX phone line is now your BB Telly over WiFi PBX protocol. You leave the office early to rende-vous for a luncheon meeting, that PBX line is still with you (Ringtones set for office are seperate from your personal service) - here is were extra revenues for providers come in and hopefully cingular can cash in for specific voicemail search/retrieval. Making calls to work #'s automatically SHOULD/CAN show the PBX Office Line in the Call display, personal numbers are from the cellular providers line service - (BOTH # in the address book, GAB lookup or SIM card should be automatic with minimal adjustment from the end user).

Now that same user goes home connected to his UMA service with a provider like TMobile USA, and a major outtage happens at the office call center or network or WHATEVER. Now a personal in my position wants to lookup whomever is ON-CALL to support a specific function/app (programmer maybe?) and just 1 # is listed. I worry about reaching that person or if the line is changed (different coverage market segments when that person moves from one city to another Ft Worth to say Houston TX) the line MUST change at the provider. BUT if its the office line ... BINGO I got him ( I know where you live ;) lol )

OR we can use it on a personal level like such ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Here's an interesting non-standard use for you. I have a old, ancient laptop that sits under my stereo system that has a WiFi card and music web management interface; it's purpose in life is to play streaming internet radio stations to the stereo receiver as well as local MP3s off hard disk -- it does this incredibly well. 1997 technology is still useful.

old screenshot:
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...pop/momo_1.png

I look forward to WiFi on my next crackberry so I can change the radio station.
(EDITED to be concise as possible without missing your point). Dude I so badly wanna do this on my upcoming MAC!!! excellent info. We'll be in touch you Linux guru.

Does that open your eyes you nay-sayers to the usuage & importance of WiFi?!