View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 11:16 AM   #22
ss1248

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

My Curve had the same issue too (after a day of skiing - I'm an idiot.) In addition to the trackball not clicking, holding down alt or shift for a number/capital letter wouldn't work, and typing in general was slower (key presses were missed.)

I fixed it by removing the trackball, removing the copper colored piece on the circuit board that the "spoon" makes contact with, and then cleaning the contact underneath of that with a pencil eraser. I didn't see any, but there must have been a bit of corrosion there as now all of the functions work again! (I'm not sure how the keyboard ties into the trackball, but in this issue it does.) To reassemble, stick the copper piece back on (like a sticker) and reassemble the trackball and trim ring.

Pulling off the copper piece takes a bit of work, but go at a corner very carefully with an x-acto knife (or something very thin/blade-like) and slide underneath of it, and then use tweezers to remove it the rest of the way. (It's like a sticker.) Be careful not to cut the copper piece or lose it once it's out of the phone as replacements aren't available, so you'd have to find another BB to swap a new one from if yours is lost.

Last edited by ss1248; 03-23-2009 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: clarification
Offline   Reply With Quote