View Single Post
Old 12-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #12
xyrcncp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
As hdawg said, I just did it to my Linksys WRT54G v1.1 a couple weeks ago. I didn't just go flashing without doing some reading. If you just google "DD-WRT" you'll pull some good hits on the first page. I read through most of those, including a blog or two from those who had done it and what their steps were. I also read through how to recover the device if you "brick" it. It is possible to recover the device but it's not an easy process.

Pay particular attention to the chart that shows what versions are compatible with your router. Some routers will only support the mini version (including some Linksys) and some will support the standard version.

For mine, it supported the standard version so it was a two step process. You have to load the 'mini' version first, then load the standard version.

Once completed, I boosted the transmit power (that's what finally talked me into loading DD-WRT.) The Linksys default is 28mW but DD-WRT supports up to 250mW. They don't recommend anything over 100 as it will create too much RF noise and heat up the chipset. 70 is what they recommend and since then has given me a nice strong UMA signal throughout my house. My router is mounted on the wall in my hallway about in the center of the house. I used to lose UMA when I'd go to the ends of the house. WiFi always stayed connected but the UMA would bump to EDGE.

Also, it supports all the WPA and WPA2 etc. encryption. Don't use WEP and/or MAC filtering as it's not that secure.

It does slow down access to the router settings. I assume it's because it requires more of the router's memory and processor to run it. However, all in all, it was a postive thing for my UMA connection. It does void your warranty so be careful. Mine was long out of warranty so didn't have that risk.

Hope that helps...
Alright, so I read through the wiki and other install guides. I'm still a little confused about the process though. Some say to just upload the standard version and some, like you JC, say that uploading the mini version first and then the standard is necessary. My router is a WRT54G v2.2 and according to the DD-WRT chart, it supports the standard version.

So should I upload the mini version first and then the standard just to be on the safe side? I assume also a router reset between uploads is recommended?