View Single Post
Old 08-09-2006, 07:56 PM   #25
GovGeek426

Model: 7130c
Carrier: ATT

I cannot believe that people would think that I have all this time on my hands to just post unfounded information to a blog. I am simply sharing information so that others might not suffer from my plight. I wonder how this post would have gone if maybe the first person who replied, understood and didn't debunk so quickly.

I have SOLID evidence that this is WILL happen. I suppose it's difficult since you don't know me. Believe me though, ignorance would not allow me to live the life I live, and work where I work. (And not to be rude, but I honestly cannot disclose where I work, "BES Admin".)

Being that I am a professional geek, meaning that this is what I do to support my family, I've spent YEARS education myself in technology and earning degrees/certificates to justify my knowledge. It just baffles me that most of you would quickly dismiss this incident. An incident that I have been ABLE TO REPLICATE.

I do know how HDD's are made; I also completely understand that there are seriously strong magnets inside. However these magnets are specially designed to work along with the magnetic media that is being applied to the platter(s) (AKA Data). This is old news.

Even still, place one of these magnets where they are not designed to go, and say bye-bye to your disk and/or data! Just because there are magnets in a hard drive, does not mean that the drive is not vulnerable to losing data via a magnet placed in the wrong area. Look at how they had to reengineer hard drives for several times more capacity by reconfiguring the bits of data in a perpendicular fashion. Lookup "perpendicular storage" in Google. They had to change the internal magnet structure so as to not interfere with the platter(s) and read/write head(s).

Magnetic fields are not like the air you breathe. They don't just circle the magnet in 360 degrees. Their direction can be modified so they don't even come close to interfering with the magnetic platter(s) and read/write head(s).

It's like the lights on the front of your vehicle. Without the mirrored surfaces behind the bulb, the light would just "pour" everywhere and there would not be a focused beam in front of you.

Anyway, I am not intending to be cruel, mean or otherwise. It saddens me when I see people trying to contribute, and the intended audience won't take it for face value.

Take care.