View Single Post
Old 01-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #1
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T
Default How do I get TMo MyFaves on my unlocked BB from another carrier?

Please Login to Remove!

Many of you have asked me how to do this. If you are a TMobile MyFaves subscriber but have a device from another carrier (AT&T for example) unlocked and using it on TMobile you may not have the TMobile MyFaves application on your devcie. The MyFaves numbers will still work but the app isn't there because it's only loaded to TMobile vendor coded (branded) devices. This post will show you how to add the myfaves applications.

Here are the steps:

1. Download and install Desktop Manager. I recommend using 4.2 SP2 as it is a very stable release of the DM.

2. Install the Device Software for your handheld. Look on your handheld under Options >About for your OS version. Then download and install from here

3. Edit the Blackberry.alx file. If you've edited for themes before then this will be a snap. On the PC navigate to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\shared\loader files\8100-v4.2.1.108_P2.3.0.85 (your particular model number and OS version may be different.) You should see a file called "Blackberry.alx." Open it with a text editor and scroll down to the following:

Code:
 <!-- T-Mobile filesets -->
                <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0" _vendorID="100">
                        <files>
                                net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b.cod
                                net_rim_bb_media_100_five_icon_library.cod
                                net_rim_tmo_five.cod
                        </files>

Remove the vendor coding (shown here in bold) so that the lines look like this:

Code:
<!-- T-Mobile filesets -->
                <fileset Colour="True" series="8100" Java="1.0">
                        <files>
                                net_rim_theme_100_240x260_b.cod
                                net_rim_tmo_five.cod
                        </files>

Save the file.

4. Then browse back to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and make sure the file called "vendor.xml" is deleted.

5. Plug in the BB, and open Desktop Manager.

6. Click on Application Loader. You may or may not see that "core applications" need to be updated. Check or uncheck anything in the list that you want or don't want.

7. Click on Next/Finish to finish out the loading process. Just before the loading takes place you should see the modules that are going to be added or removed. Review them for accuracy and then proceed.

The two .cod's that will be added will be:

net_rim_tmo_five.cod

Once these are installed and you have the proper provisioning for MyFaves from TMobile you should have the myfaves app on your unlocked device.

Good luck!

Other threads that may be of some help:

Optimize your BB's Memory

How to Add Vendor Locked Themes - BlackBerryFAQ.com
Offline   Reply With Quote