conker
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: 249E86E3
Carrier: AT&T
Default RIM should find a way to license Android

Please Login to Remove!

Google reveals upcoming Android features | Wireless - CNET News

I LOVE my BlackBerry, I really do, but I fear with each passing day RIM devices are falling further and further behind because of their dinosaur OS. Everyone knows how large and supportive the software community for iPhone is, and it will be the same for Android. The strength of a platform depends on it's community, and I fear the BB software community is shrinking.

In my ideal world, RIM would adopt Android but keep all the same functionality that we all know, expect and love from a BlackBerry device. This will prepare them for the future. Right now, they have a legacy platform that feels like a leaking dike patched with band-aids

Google has proven that with a top-tier engineering team they can launch scalable platforms. Just think about what they have done recently with their entire platform: Web services, GMail, Google Docs, Chrome, Android, etc. - it's incredible. I don't have any confidence in the RIM OS being able to thrive when competing with a built from scratch OS that is open to the community. RIM is going to go the way of Palm if it maintains the current strategy.

My friend, who recently bought the G1 - mainly to tinker with, had this to say today after I sent him the above link:

"Yeah I'm reporting bugs and requesting enhancements already - and they are responding to it. First time I've ever felt a mobile platform cared about me. It's an open bug database .. you comment, they comment, they fix."

It's this kind of support, and software development methodology that is going to draw developers, and as a consequence, consumers to the Android platform.

Right now, I give Android the best chance of being able to deliver functionality that closely matches the BB. The iPhone - bleh - it will always be prioritized for the llamas.

Why not adopt the same OS and take advantage of all that comes and is coming with the platform?

-c