Old 01-29-2008, 08:34 PM   #24
Anthony569
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runamuck View Post
I'm one of the not-so-few who actually like iTunes. And try as I might to enjoy the media player on my Curve, which is "ok," it's just not my iPod.
I like iTunes and iPods also. Just not the iPhone. I'll never be one to say that a Blackberry's platform music-wise is better, especially since coverflow came out from Apple.

Quote:
Getting ringtones onto the iPhone, even without jailbreaking it, is pretty trivial. If you can go thru all the hassle of converting a video to play properly on your Curve, you should be able to get ringtones onto the phone without paying iTunes for them.
It may be possible, but you'll also have a stroke doing it. I use my usual favorite prog (Wavepad) to slice and dice my mp3's into ringtones. With BB, it's as easy as dragging the into the ringtones folder on BB's Desktop Manager. I don't think any iPhone user could describe their workaround in one sentence. Takes like 10 steps and they don't always work, especially if an Apple update nukes it. Updates are optional, of course...but if you want the update's "improvements", you also have to sacrifice their wrist-slaps.

Quote:
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out. If you are a Windows user, there's even software out there to automate the process and do all the big mean hacking stuff for you.
Ouch. I'd hardly call myself a hacker. Just try to minimize my bottom line on having to pay for overpriced audio that can be gotten for zilch with the right tools and enough ingenuity to get something done without having to put on a labcoat...I don't have that kinda time.

Quote:
Customer service issues?!?!?! LMAO. Don't even get me started about finger pointing at a cell phone carrier. Apple's Genius Bar is the BEST customer service I've had from any consumer electronics maker in my frickin' life. Make an appt, go into the store, walk out with your problem fixed. Try that at Tmobile or Verizon! Walk into THEIR store, they pick up their phone, call some customer service rep then HAND you the phone. Gee thanks for being absolutely worthless to me! Gimme a friggin break. Apple is awesome at customer service. I bought my phone at AT&T but the first one had a slight issue with the screen. I walked into the Genius bar and walked out with a NEW (not a refurbed) phone within 20 mins.
Genius Bars are in 36 states. The other 14 might beg to differ with you.

Quote:
I LOVE the larger screen on the iPhone. I'll trade battery life for a more readable screen and a highly serviceable browser experience.
So did I. But with a dead battery, an enjoyably large screen is kinda-sorta moot.

Quote:
But lets be fair...the iPhone is an iPod with phone features.
I may be wrong on this...but I did read online...offhand, can't remember if itwas a CNET review, think it was...that if you deadbeat on your ATT bill (hey, people lose jobs all the time) or for whatever reason part ways with ATT service, the phone becomes a very expensive paperweight and even the iPod functionality is inaccessible. A tech at an ATT store thought that was "possible" but wasn't sure. I'll invite others here to support or correct me on that.

Quote:
Really, it's been kind of fun to have both an iPhone and a Curve. I'm holding what many consider to be the best of the best in the marketplace. What's fascinating to me is the Apple iPhone is first generation while the Curve is what now.....8th generation? The differences between the two aren't so far apart. That should tell you something.
Tells me Apple should stick to iPods and let RIM handle phones, at least as they compare at the moment because Apple has important kinks to work out overall vs. Curve just needing a few browsing tweaks to make it more "fun" in addition to being a corporate emblem.

All I know is, I have a near full-charge at the end of the day after heavy use and comparing that to my near-dead-by-5pm iPhone was a big selling point. Most important thing I look for in a phone is that it's....well, on. I'm not giving Steve Jobs $90 every year for new or better batteries...nice upsell. Alot easier to replace my Curve's ticker myself and (for half the cost.) Time for Apple to at least start making devices with reasonably-priced, user-replaceable batteries.
Offline   Reply With Quote