View Single Post
Old 02-22-2007, 02:15 PM   #22
skmiller
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Ok so after being on the phone over an hour with Cingular CSR, I have concluded that they are essentially worthless. They do not want to get past the fact that you do not have Telenav and want to begin billing you for the app. I finally got someone from their Data support team who was of not much more help as they told me that the only documentation they had on the GPS features of the device was the Telenav book and the info in there so they also want bill me for Telenav. They finally gave up and conceeded that their data teams knows absolutely nothing about the device other then supporting it in the same fashion as if it was an 8700, and had to get me someone from RIM on the phone to go over things with me.
The person from RIM basically came back with the same info everyone on BBF has told us, that the device has a standalone GPS that will work independantly of the Telenav software or any other software. He recomended that I wait til a clear day and go outside in an area with no skysrapers or trees and try to refresh the signal. They are leaving my ticket open for 3 days and if they do not hear back from me by then will consider it a closed case and working device.

After listening to the CO CEO of RIM at Tuesdays launch party and how hyped he was about the device having GPS, that im a little disappointed with the failure of it so far on my device as well as the support of the GPS function from both Cingular as well as RIM.