Old 11-19-2008, 04:13 AM   #34
SLR2005
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9K97K
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneau View Post
I have a BB8800 on T-Mobile right now. My phone's getting a bit long in tooth as I got my 8800 the week it hit T-Mo stores, but it still works reasonably well. If all the rumors are true that the Javelin will be an EDGE-only device, apart from the larger screen, slightly faster processor, and a bit more memory, why upgrade? Why spend $200 or $300 on a phone that provides almost identical functionality as a Curve or an 8820?

Look at the history...7200 to 7100 - big jump with the color screen, Suretype, etc. 7100 to the 8700 and then Pearl, again a substantial jump in screen size, processor speed, and size. 8700 to 8800/8820, added the GPS, trackball, and eventually WiFi, plus a smaller form factor. The Curve took the internals of the 8800 series, made them smaller, and added the 3.5mm jack an camera. That again made sense, 8800 was more business oriented while the 8300 was more consumer oriented. With each step, RIM tried to push the technology envelope and pack more things into a smartphone.

I bought my 8800 when it was the pinnacle of smartphone technology. It had the nicest screen, a fast processor, GPS, and of course BB's great email integration. As expected, other phones over the last two years have caught up. Screens have gotten sharper, processors faster, now almost every phone has GPS and WiFi, and even Gmail integration rivals push.

And now we get to today. There's just nothing really new that the 8900 has to offer that most users will notice apart from the nicer screen. There's no sexy iPhone or Storm-like touchscreen interface. There's no 3G. There's no open source software or internal compass like the G1. In fact, RIM went away from the global standard Mini-USB and replaced it with a Micro-USB that very few devices use. All in all, it looks to be a mediocre phone with a nice screen.

I like T-Mobile. I like BlackBerry. Their combined offerings though are underwhelming and I'm starting to really feel the pull of Verizon and the Storm or staying with T-Mobile and getting the G1. With either of those phones, I know I'll have a device that will be respectable a year or two especially as US 3G networks expand. The same can't be said for the 8900. It's a phone that will undoubtedly be out-classed six months after its release.

if u really wanna know why u should buy it, ask this guy that paid $17100+shipping on eBay

crazy stuff happens i guess...lol

here is a link to it....i think it is total bs but oh well, funny too....

Code:
http://www.technologyowl.com/i117844-c134-rss
Offline   Reply With Quote