View Single Post
Old 04-26-2016, 06:51 PM   #18
NoBox
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT&Verizon
Default Re: BBM or Whatsapp?

I accept that end to end encryption is valuable only for the content and not who I am interchanging with. That, in itself, is valuable. For example, I can send another party some financial information with a minimum risk it will be compromised. Much like when you do online banking or credit card purchasing. The parties involved are known but the critical details are not.

In military terms; interceptors know something is up, but not exactly what. That, alone, has value.

For total secrecy a person has to go to secured method and something like a one time pad that puts information into a predetermined template. That is about as secure as it gets for communications.

Exposure? Well, WhatsApp is only used for communications with certain people. Those people understand what we are doing and will not make the mistake of sending the same information via another channel. Then to all machines involved are encrypted. Mainly because we all travel and there is the danger of leaving a device in an airport, or having it stolen.

Lots of research on human behavior. One researcher who contracts commercially has said publicly that if she can identify who your friends are she can predict your reaction to almost any event or policy with an excess of 90% reliability. In another focus there is a reason for those market rewards cards. Over time the company can predict what you will do on a scary accurate level of reliability.

But, we get into something a lot more extensive than just an App. To me Public BBM is not very secure. It is better than posting on Facebook. But, that is about it. WhatsApp is pretty secure for delicate and financial data; probably about as secure as financial transactions. Of course a person could limit themselves to only cash or barter transactions and leave no trace. Amazing how many people have done that. I'm not one of them.

One last note: An individual has to be aware there is a war for ownership of their personal data. For many in government and major corporations they claim ownership, or at least access, for "your own good because we know more than you".
Offline   Reply With Quote