View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #19
exprt

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinswin View Post
The 8703e uses a network-based "assist" on the GPS. Because it doesn't have the processing power to calculate your position using the signal received from the built in GPS (which involves triangulating on the time signals broadcast from multiple satelites) onboard the blackberry, it sends that information to a server over the network, and the server does the processing, then returns the lat/long to the Blackberry to plot you on the map.

Therefore, there is no "hack" that can turn on the GPS...you can turn it on, but without a network server to process the signals it receives, it won't do you any good. The BB simply doesn't have the horsepower to turn the time signals into a lat/long. So, they truly can control it from the network...which is why Sprint can turn it on, but Verizon can leave it off.

Btw, using the network to perform the calculations also introduces latency...so when the network returns your position, it should return the position accurately...but it will be the position you were in when you received the satelite signals...not where you are after they've been transmitted over the network, converted to lat/long, and passed back. Therefore, I'd imagine the 8703e navigation on Sprint isn't that great for making quick turns...where latency would play a factor.
I would certainly disagree with the above concept and would propose some ways to test it. First, my experience working with GPS receivers as an electronics engineer is that the receiver chipset performs all of the calculations internally then communicates the useful information to the device CPU through simple serial communication protocols. Many GPS receivers have a radio enable/disable function that usually serves as a power save function. I believe it is software at the phone that holds the GPS disabled and Verizon can enable it if they want to. Just like dish network could activate your DVR if they wanted to.
If the BB relied on a network server to process raw GPS data then pass it back to the phone, you've gained nothing. In fact, you've increased the amount of data that needs to be passed for a mapping program such as vz navigator to run. The cellular network only needs the Lat / Long to determine which map to send to the phone.
So, I as a question; If someone with a working/enabled GPS receiver roams out of the wireless coverage, will their GPS cease to function? Or will it continue to function by giving LAT and LONG information? Another test would be to see if the GPS would work after loading another company’s firmware. You wouldn’t have any maps to work with but it would prove a point. Then perhaps you could later mix and match backup device databases.
Just an FYI Verizon has released (v4.2.1.106) a new firmware dated 10/29/07 for the 8703e. There is some speculation it is fixing something to allow for VZ Navigator to be run on these blackberries BlackBerry® Software Updates . The update did make changes in how blackberry maps reacts to the “start GPS” command. I used to get a displayed location as “0 N” now I get “searching for satellites….” And it never finds even one.
I think this is an issue a hacker or developer could find a work around for. But lets face it, these are not as popular as the iPhone or something. For now I will just have to live with google’s mobile maps with the “my location”(beta) that uses cell tower information to locate you on a map….not the most accurate but better than nothing
Google Maps
Offline   Reply With Quote