Old 10-22-2004, 12:40 PM   #6
JesseRPI
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
Carrier: Sprint
Default Re: CDMA vs GSM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordian Man
I've heard a couple of different opinions on this matter. What is the faster technology? Is it CDMA or GSM? Please enlighten! :idea:
Accordian Man, stick with CDMA. Not only are speeds faster, but you have access to much more network coverage. For example, when in CDMA digital mode, if you happen to roam into an area without digital coverage, your phone (depending on model) has the ability to roam to other CDMA networks (Sprint/Verizon/Alltel/Cricket/etc.), or even function for voice calls on a local analog network. Depending on where you live/work/play/travel, this may be an important consideration.

Also, in my own experience, and from people I know who have used devices on GSM networks, for some reason GSM coverage does not hold your signal as reliably as CDMA when going deep into a building. As a recent example, a colleague and I were in NY Presbyterian Hospital working on a project. He has Cingular and I have Sprint. I had outstanding coverage, with slightly weaker coverage when I ventured into some of the hallways. However, his coverage was perfect outside, and near windows, but completely deteriorated as soon as he stepped a mere 15 feet away from a window. It was amuzing to watch as he pressed his phone against the window to speak while reaching across several feet to type on his laptop!