Old 06-24-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
itserica92

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default Wifi without Data Plan

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,

This is probably asked many times already but I have yet to come across a definite response. I recently received a BB 8900 from ATT. Because its a gift, I don't plan to use the data plan but I would still like to surf the internet. I have yet to activate the phone, but I set up the wifi and it works great. The steps that I took was that I went to the Browser to check the settings. (I only have one browser unlike other ATT BB users) The browser was already set to Hotspot Browser when I went to Options then Browser Config. So I then next went to the General properties and the default browser was already set to Hotspot Browser. At this point, I am assuming that I am using Wifi only. But my concern is that since I have my mobile connection unchecked and only my Wifi connection checked. Does this mean that when I do activate the phone, I will not be able to make phone calls or receive/send sms?

Also, out of curiosity I went to Mobile Network Options under Manage Connection. There, I saw Data Services set as "on," so I switched it to "off" cus I assumed that was related to data plan. At this point, the browser did not work. So, I switched it back on.

I have also read that if the Wifi logo at the top of the screen is grey, that means I am not connected to wifi, so I became concerned that I was using data.

Overall, my question is that the method that I currently have set up. Is that the successful way to surf the internet using Wifi without a data plan?
Offline   Reply With Quote