Old 11-04-2009, 01:57 AM   #16
sheran-g
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
The bottom line with BlackBerry devices is that they are easy to keep secure. BlackBerry Enterprise admins can lock down the devices so users can't install random apps, including spyware apps. Users can protect their own devices by locking them protection with a strong password, short time security time out, and limiting the password attempts. And by not installing unknown applications. The media is creating a fair amount of hype about BlackBerry spy software but I suspect the risk is pretty low in reality.
Accepted. But do we talk about that among ourselves or do we go out there and tell everyone about it? Not everyone is going to put a password on their phone. Not everyone will have a short lockout time; they probably detest how it gets in the way of the use of their phone. The average user sees these things as more of a hinderance than security. Security gets in the way of their routine. We can't assume that everyone will know about it. All I have seen so far on forums and comments to blogs is the same: "The risk is low because the user can put in a password, etc" No one is telling them how to do it. I plan to. I'll be releasing a series of short papers that will address this. Judging by some of the new BlackBerry models being released, I'm certain more consumers will be adopting. Consumers who will need awareness and education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Also as far as I know, Flex-Spy and Mobile Spy do not work on pure CDMA devices. What about PhoneSnoop? Would it work on my old 8330?
PhoneSnoop works by matching the incoming phone call's number with a "trigger" number. If there's a match, the call is picked up. It works with voice calls only, so I'm guessing it should work with your 8330. I tested it on the 8330 simulator and it works.