View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #111
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sand View Post
Yahoo and Gmail on 143 are instant even if the connection is not active. The mail hits Yahoo on the web and instantly it's on the BB. Add in SSL like Hotmail does and you start rolling like you mentioned above - every 15 minutes if it goes idle.

As for 110/25 I would expect better than that for a Blackberry.net address. I would expect what the others offer in regard to SSL.

In the end... the company that delivers the "instant push" - even if the connection has gone inactive - with SSL enablement is the winner. I hope RIM delivers this first...

Sandy
Sandy, you're so very wrong about this.
For starters, there is absolutely no correlation between encryption and polling interval.

Secondly, GMail doesn't even offer any connection on port 143, which is the standard IMAP port. GMail uses port 993 and requires SSL, but that's irrelevant to BIS anyway.
BIS does not connect to GMail (or Yahoo) via POP or IMAP.
Both providers have specialized integration with BIS over a secure connection. In fact, BIS was integrating with GMail before GMail even had POP/IMAP connectivity.

Regarding the blackberry.net mailbox. BIS isn't polling that mailbox at all because the mailbox and messaging server is on the same network as BIS. It's immediately pushed and the messages aren't stored anywhere. They're already protected because they're on the same internal network, owned and operated by RIM. Makes no difference is there's SSL or not.

This thread has become so convoluted with misinformation and FUD that it's nearly impossible to follow at this point.
Hopefully this discussion comes to a close soon.

Last edited by penguin3107; 08-26-2010 at 04:21 PM..
Offline   Reply With Quote